April 12, 2013

The big fat book gets read...

I completed reading Vikram Seth's "A suitable boy". What a wonderful book. I took several weeks to finish it and yes, it was pleasurable experience despite the fact that it can cause good amount of discomfort to the wrist(the sheer bulk of the book makes you want to lie down to read) and the eyes(for the small font which makes it difficult to read while on the move).

The book is set in early 1950s and gives a glimpse of the political and social set up at the time woven into the story of a mother trying to find a suitable boy for her young daughter. I was very interested in how the girl decides whom to marry among her three suitors and how she comes to the decision. In between when I gave into the temptation of finding out whom she marries,went to the end of the book and found out,  I was a tad bit disappointed,  but by the time I read through at the normal pace, I totally understood her decision. It seemed the most natural choice and the way that is driven home is beautiful. Loved reading it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, kudos to you. I keep seeing it in bookshelves and always postpone my decision to start reading it.

Pratibha said...

:) It takes a while, for sure, but a good one.

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...