May 11, 2005

My musings about first impressions and second chances

Man, its been a long time since I wrote something on my blog(BTW I havent written anything at all so far!)...I always get some ideas..so there is something I felt strongly about today.. so here it is..

I always wonder why "first impression" has so much of importance attached to it. It shows the human nature of trying to be decisive and the strong inclinination to be keenly judgmental. People always want tend to carry this "baggage" about others. And how many times are we able to judge any person precisely by the first impressions about them.

I beleive that everybody deserves a "second" chance, even yourself, for you should give yourself a second chance before judging a person.Everyday we meet people, some of whom we "like" and some whom we "dislike". Or rather we decide to "like" or "dislike" somebody. And more often than not we want to keep it that way. Ofcourse each of us have this right and no one can dictate things to anybody.

There are several times when we have to be with some people whether we like it or not. But give it a thought. What is the use of passing a judgement about anyone? Why should my past experiences become a hurdle in my day-to-day interaction. Why cant each day be taken as it comes, each person be taken as is? Why should I not be good even when the other person, whom I thought I hated is trying to be good to me? Is it my ego that prevents me from being friendly. If thats the case what good is it of? Put yourself in the other person's shoes.How many of us would like it if people judged us for every action of ours?

Each of us need our "space".

Hmm..on second thoughts,(again "second"?) there were many questions and few answers..One last question..should all these "first"s and "second"s matter at all and do they really make our everyday life better?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There must be a reason why we like some people and why we don't like some others. That reason can be as minute as "I don't like the way he/she walks" to something like "I don't like him/her 'cos he/she cheats to earn a living". Of course there's the other point that the reasons that helped us form a judgement might be true or false.

I completely agree with you that people deserve a second or even a third chance.

Nice post! :)

Pratibha said...

Thanks for the inputs. Ya,the existence of the reason is true whether the justification for its existence, we give as you rightly say could be true/false. And again these reasons are centered around "me" and "my mood".

Baejaar said...

When we are with somebody over a period of time, we realize that the initial impression is only 35% accurate just like this statistic ;-)

Very few can resist jumping to conclusions. But thats the ability which takes us places both in personal as well as business life.

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...