January 28, 2013

Chitra Santhe...


I came to know about Chitra Santhe - the art mart- happening on Jan 27, 2013. Last year I wanted to attend, but could not. And while looking up on it online, I found it figures in one of the must - dos if you happen to be in Bangalore in January. That turned out to be very true! I had a great time roaming around, checking out the stalls on Kumara Krupa road.

It was a nice sunny Saturday afternoon. Had a good lunch and left home, it is only about 3kms from where I stay. The afternoon sun was not a worry as the road is lined with trees on either side of the road. In the shade, on the pavement there were hundreds of stalls set up by artists showcasing their art. It seems like a wonderful concept - not only making art affordable - since the artists need not pay galleries - but also a platform for the not-so-art-aware general public to check out some wonderful art from all across the country. The street was lined with stalls on either side of the road - most stalls had paintings of all sorts, water colors, on canvas, portraits  landscapes and the list goes on(that's all I can manage to list, with my limited art knowledge, as of now!). One could talk to the artist and know some history of the painting that one wanted to buy. There were paintings that were not framed available, and the person could get it framed the way they chose to - some some amazing flexibility available. Some of the artists were kind enough to share some wonderful information. Like I was wondering whether to buy a certain painting and was taking a closer look at it, the artist told me that was not how to view a painting. You need to place the painting vertically and move back about ten feet from it. I felt quite grateful for the information.

There were lots of vendors selling ground- nuts, popcorn, ice creams, khara puri, fruit bowls and a dozen other things to eat. It looked like a fair. There were also artists selling some jewellery and painted diyas, both made of terracotta. They were so beautiful.

I also saw artists making caricatures of people, mostly of children. My plan was to get a caricature done. I wished I had gone earlier, when the crowd was much lesser(in fact when I reached the venue the crowd wasnt much, but I spent a lot of time checking the paintings and only remembered about getting my caricature, when I saw them being done, by then there was a considerable crowd!). The problem with the crowd is the wait time increases for you to get your picture drawn and you have to endure a crowd of onlookers(probably that is why mostly kids were getting it done, they dint care much who was watching! :) ).
I had not seen so much of art in a day in Bangalore. It was very refreshing. After watching few hundreds of stalls of art work, I kind of felt saturated and got very choosy at the fag end(choosy as in, what interested me very much and least crowded stalls).

I found a stationary shop(not a stall, regular shop) and they were offering discounts on some items because of Chitra Santhe. I bought myself two sketching notebooks, lots of pencils - of all HBs available, fine erasers - for my old-hobby-revived-with-some-new-enthu hobby of pencil sketching. I was so excited to see so much of paraphernalia for artists that I asked a couple of times, if there is anything more I need to buy! It was a child in a candy store kind of a feeling! Am going to be a pro now...yaaaay!

It was a wonderful experience. I would like to go there again next year, and may be with my camera to capture and cherish, how that street looks on that day!

No comments:

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...