May 11, 2009

Happy mother's day!

I was telling my mother about someone who works with me, and referred to him as a "foreigner". My mother asked me which country he comes from and when I told her he is an American, she pointed out that I am the "foreigner" and not him! I felt immensely proud of her, I have always felt, I admire her for her intelligence, her kindness, her affection, her attention to detail, her reasoning, her individuality, her courage, her strength, her patience, how she respects people for what they are rather than what they do for a living. There are several times when I have told her she cannot understand this and that, like when I speak about my work and she asks me questions. She tells me she cannot understand only those things that she has no interest in or has no use for, but everything else she can. She is very confident in her expression, so very right in her attitude. I always used to get irritated when she used to force a friend to have something to eat or drink when they come home, she even offers coffee to the milk-man on cold mornings - I now understand this is what is being human all about.
She has always been there for me, every single time I needed her. I have only grown proud of her with time. As far as I understand it, being my mother is a tough job. When I was a kid, our maid servant's daughter used to come and wait for her mother in our backyard. My mother used to give her some snacks while she waited. Her nick name was "Putty"( which means "little one" in Kannada, and sometimes my dad refers to me like that). So if at all my mother used to call her "Putty" I used to create a ruckus! The only other kid my mother could show any affection was my sibling. No one else. Years later when our pet dog used to bark uncontrollably when my mother used to just talk to our neighbour's new pet pup from our garden(oh yes, we do "talk" to our pets), his reactions used to remind me of myself! She forgave us both heartily for it.

And I love my mother for letting me be whatever I am. I call her Amma, ammu, ammi, maaaa, mom, and sometimes by her name! I love her name, and I bet if someone heard both our names and had to guess which name is the daughter's, they would probably think hers was!(Oh yes, mine is such an old fashioned name!) Amma, I love you.

Happy mothers' day to all!

5 comments:

Guruprasad said...

Pratibha..
very nice article about Amma, yes you are correct, ಅಮ್ಮನಿಂಗೆ ಅಮ್ಮನೇ ಸಾಟಿ.....
Please Visit my blog in your free time. i have uploaded my mothers Arts for Mothers day special .

Thanks.
Guru

Pratibha said...

Thnx Guru, sure...

Guna Vishwa said...

Hi,

Nice article about Amma.

The fact that I love about my Mother is that even though I continue to ignore her words and end up in one problem after another, she rarely says "I told you so".
(Well, I am getting older too, so these days I do listen to her words and try very hard to follow them).

Lalitha said...

hi...long live both amma and magalu...did your mom get to read this .. hope she does....

Pratibha said...

Thnx Guna, nice to se ur comment!

Thnx Akka for your wishes! :)

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...