October 16, 2007

Mistaken!!!

People dont ever seem to mistake me for a Kannadiga. I wonder why. And the best part is they take the trouble of sharing their piece of mind as to what they though I was, as in which part of India did they take me to be from. There was this Tamilian lady who asked where I was from, I said "Karnataka". Next question was "Are you a kannadiga?". Was a little surprised. Ok one's mother tongue could differ from one's native place, may be. But I was surprised. She then told me she thought I was a mallu! Wait its not yet over. A new joinee, a mallu, during a team lunch asked me ifI was from Rajastan! I only could smile at the question. A Tam thinks am a mallu, a mallu thinks am a northy...Ok people from other places mistake me, but wonder how I felt when a kannadiga asked me if I were from Delhi when we first met. And the icing on the cake came today.When one of my managers saw me talking to another one in kannada and exclaimed "Kannada!!"..Oh common people, give me a break.Why cant anyone take me for a kannadiga? I am a little more fair to qualify for a south Indian? Oh butI have seen far more fairer south Indians who are not mistaken (the one who exclaimed thus is fairer than me and is from south India!!)... I speak fluent hindi? Oh ask any north Indian, he will tell you how pathetic my hindi grammer is! Previously it used to be fun when people used to mistake me thus...but not always...not so frequently..May be I should be happy people dont mistake my nationality!! What crap na..

5 comments:

Bipin said...

okay.. this is an Aussie cricket lover ready for an arguement !! d so called MIGHTY AUSSIES have proved what they r.. Hope u did c these matches.. come on.. they r not bad for the game.. watchin them play is sheer beauty.. ats wt is cricket.. 2 teams playing poorly but havin a close climax is not CRICKET.. time to shuffle ur thots ..

ok.. dunt tk it serious.. jus an invitation to visit my blog..

thx..

dilip said...

Hey...all along i thought u were from West Bengal...;-);-) hehe..;-)

Guna Vishwa said...

Identity crisis is it?

Tell me about it. I have faced these things many times. But in my case, it was more like. "Oh I have seen you in 'fill in the blanks' . Are you from that place?"

'I' have been spotted in Chennai, Kerala, Andra Pradesh so many times that I wonder how I dont recall anything about those places :D

ವಿನುತ said...

Be glad that u r mistaken to be from different part of the country.. But I was always being mistaken for a ..... and u know how much I like that part of the world.. Not only that.. they even started talking in that language... even before asking me !!! I am not that dark to be mistaken for .. and I know people who r darker than me but not mistaken for non-kannadiga.. All part of life in "Bangalore"...

Pratibha said...

Thnaks ppls..nice comments..and the personal experiences written made a great reading :) keep visiting!

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...