March 06, 2008

Doctor Who?

There was a time when I thought I was not into reading sci-fi novels. Not very long ago. As in two weeks!When a friend suggested I could borrow some of his sci-fi books, I almost had to hide my contempt! How could I imagine reading some aliens attacking planet Earth and some hero recues. Wow impressed! I cant bear them on TV(ok folks, those of you who like it, sorry but its true), how could I read them. That was two weeks ago. One evening just when the library was about to close, I rushed in and asked the librarian to suggest a book quickly so that I dont waste his time browsing to pick one.All I said, "want something light and funny". When he picked up the book, I almost showed him my disappointment about his pick. He said it is a hit TV series and the back cover had something about aliens. I forced a smile, took the book telling myself its ok to keep the book over the weekend and if I dont like it can take something else on monday. The book was called "Wishing well" of the Doctor Who series. In two weeks I have read three of these books and last night I was up late just to ensure I finish reading the book. And in months I have not devoured books at this rate!! I have taken best sellers, critically acclaimed books
and either half read them and gave up or took weeks to finish them. I was wondering whats up with my reading, until I read these books! Things never are like they seemed..And why did they seem the way they did in the first place? I can neither explain my contempt for sci-fi stuff before nor the craze for it now!It all sounds so crazy, but I admit its wonderful reading the Doctor Who series!

6 comments:

Vinay said...

Hmmm...Sci-Fi...Hmmm...
Let me pick up something on that and read...will comment later on :)

Anonymous said...

even I am not a sci-fi fan...though as a kid such stories were amusing....
try Issac Asimov's books sometime

-rohit

Pratibha said...

@Vinay - :)

@Rohit - Thanks, will surely try those books...

rakesh said...

Area 7
matthew reilly

Non-stop nail-biting action ;-)

requiem said...

I personally love sci-fi... more than anything, its the ideas and metaphors they employ.. of course, not talking about slam bam sci-fi. Isac Asimov's I, Robot series is easy read but deep enough... I enjoy Phillip K Dick's works a lot... even though sci-fi... while reading you feel as if it is a very near and possible future.. or rather a different telling of the world we already live in... in fact recently finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. lemme know if interested... at about 300 pages isnt too big a read.. but engrossing stuff (:

btw, even I have written a few sci-fi shorts (:

Pratibha said...

Thanks rakesh and req for the suggestions...
And req, yes i remember reading and njoying one of your sci-fi shorts :)

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...