January 18, 2007

On rainy day not long ago....

It was a late evening during the early monsoons. I was heading to the bus stop, it was drizzling but the sky was red and threatening to pour any moment. Those days a downpour was a welcome relief. My steps were unhurried. I neither seemed to care for the rain nor the last bus home. It was about 10 minutes walk. Occupied in my own thoughts I slowly walked through the open, untreed path in the lowly lit narrow winding lane running through a well maintained lawn. Reaching the bus stop climbed into my bus without a second thought or checking the route. Nothing could have changed, so fast. At least not my work life. I sat in a three-seater next to the aisle under the light to force myself to read something. Starting looking for some book in my bag. Those days I did not care what I read, because the companionship a book could give suddenly seemed to have deserted me. After a while the fact that someone is at the window-seat registered. I also slowly realized I was sitting right below the speaker. Radio is played the moment the bus starts off. And these are my regular companions in the bus - my book and the radio jockey and his music. I mechanically took out the book and started staring at the words. I dint realize how long it was before the music started playing overhead. It was the first time I ever heard the song.

Tears started rolling down my cheeks. I turned to the window. I wanted the gentleman next to me on the two-seater not to notice me. My neighbour on the right was looking out of the window. Our eyes met in the reflection of the window glass. His eyes were not questioning. There was no expression that would make me uneasy. They were just softly glancing. I was not sobbing, but could not stop the tears, they seemed beyond my control. The deep voice of Kailash Kher "Tu ne kya kar daala mar gayi mein mit gayi mein oji haaji hogayi mein...teri deewaneee..diwani..." had caught a passing thought and thus the precipitation. Ever since I have been in love with the song, its lyrics and the great music, beautifully sung. I felt greatly relieved after a while. For a long time after that I dint look at my neighbour. I was not embarrassed or anything. Just before I got up to go, I turned towards the window glass, as if to say bye.He again saw me without turning towards me. I thanked him with a smile and he warmly reciprocated. My steps towards home felt lighter. Those tears seemed to have washed a lot of things away.

No comments:

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...