September 25, 2006

A glance...

Mine was the next stop. So I went and stood in the front. She was squatting in a very awkward position in a two-seater, at the very edge of the window seat, with her legs folded, although nobody was sitting next to her. She wore a faded maroon saree with a red border. The saree was not torn or patched but seemed like someone had worn it all their life. I could not guess her age, she could not have been more than thirty. She seemed tired and it was not because of age. She was not from these parts. She glanced at me with the same natural curiosity that I was looking at her. After may be a few seconds, she again started looking out of the window. She was probably married, she wore a black beaded "sara". She wore two green glass bangles on one hand and a gold colored bangle on the other. A big stud on the nose. It must have been real heavy, although may be not as much as her heart I glimpsed(or thought I did) in those few seconds when our eyes had met. The other side of the nose was also pierced but without a ring. A small bundle of clothes tied with another cloth was at her feet. She dint seem to care much. Just before I got down the bus I realised we did have a thing in common - "occupation"!

No comments:

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...