January 24, 2009

Aaaaah well....

I was suddenly all ears today in the bus today. I just heard 2 people on my right speak in Kannada. I could not help smiling, but unlike Americans we dont say a "hi" to strangers and smile so easily at strangers I feel. Back home we treat strangers just like that - strangers! Not so quite strange! I was happy, just-plane-happy. I kept smiling seeing outside the window. I had not imagined such simple things like hearing my mother tongue in a strange land makes me happy. I wonder why I kept telling myself for the last few years that I had to go far beyond home atleast once in my lifetime and see as much of a new country as possible. I am not sure who or what was stopping me from seeing my own country. But I had never promised myself to know the value of all those that, that made my home and that made me feel at home. This was surely a bonus!

I feel completely out of place(Oops! oh yes I am!) several times, but I smile and move on. I need to learn how things work, how the system works, how people interact and a hundred more things.
I am learning and I am unlearning. It is tiring at times, leaving all that, that was familiar and learning old things the new way. It is fun sometimes. But it is an experience for sure.

5 comments:

dilip said...

"An experience" is what that counts..:) Make sure you relish every bit of it..:)

Pratibha said...

Oh yes,that I will definitely try!

Anonymous said...

Kannadaaaaa.. romanchanaveee kannada.. aaalisu.. kelisu.. preetisu..

Enjoy your stay

ವಿನುತ said...

Irony of Life!! We are forced to miss somethings to know the real value of them. But, at times you enjoy that feeling of 'Am missing it' !!, just like you enjoy the momemnts of 'Am loving it'!! :))

Akshatha said...

How can i not identify with this! somedays i crave for such hearing on bus..
loved the post

Must Dos to remain sane...

1. Mind your own business. You do not run the show and have no control of what happens, give your best and keep going. 2. Read books. Rea...